Studies show that most accidents happen at home. These studies further reveal that many of these accidents are caused by slipping in the bathroom. While slipping can happen to anyone, the elderly are more susceptible than most due to failing health and joint problems. It is fairly convenient when there is something to hold onto in case of slips and falls. Installing bathroom grab bars and safety handles are a secure and cost-effective way to prevent falls.
Why Bathroom grab bars are crucial to safety
- Loss of mobility: Seniors are the most susceptible persons to accidents due to failing mobility. Grab bars and safety handles are important in helping them regain independence at home.
- Balance issues: Loss of balance can be caused by medical issues such as inner ear problems, arthritis, and even medication side effects. A bathroom grab bar or safety handle relieves the fear of falling due to bad balance.
- Ease of getting in and out of the tub: Stiff joints and injuries sometimes make it difficult to get in and out of the bathtub. Bathroom safety handles or grab bars give the extra help needed to safely and effectively get in.
- Safety on wet floors: Floor tiles are slippery when wet; therefore, everyone can benefit from a bathroom safety grab bar. Many times, the bathroom floor is wet, making it easy to slip and fall getting into the bathtub. Grab bars are a safe way to prevent a fall and regain balance after slipping.
Types of bathroom grab bars
All grab bars or bathroom safety handles should be safe and effective. Proper installation should be observed, otherwise it may cause more dangers, instead of serving their purpose. It is imperative to check the manufacturer’s specifications on weight capacity to ascertain which bathroom grab bar is the most suited for the project. Remember, an unsafe grab bar can be worse than no grab bar at all. Consulting a professional to install bathroom grab bars can ultimately save you from the perils of accidents.
- Stainless steel. This is an ideal material for most bathroom grab bars or safety handles. A grab bar or safety handle made of stainless steel retains its style and integrity for many years and can be used in both commercial and residential applications.
- Chrome and brass. These grab bars or safety handles add a more formal look to the bathroom. Chrome and brass can last for a long time, and they add to the decor of the room and match your taste.
- Decorative grab bar – This type of grab bar can match any type of faucets and fixtures.
Bathroom grab bars and safety handles vary in shapes and sizes. The most typical grab bar sizes are 12, 16, 18, 24, and 32 inches, and a 48-inch grab bar can be specially ordered. Most grab bars are round, but can be angled or L-shaped.
Professional or do-it-yourself?
DIY grab bar installation versus professional installation
Yes, grab bars can be installed without the help of an expert builder. Some of the bathroom safety handles explained above can be a do-it-yourself task. But seeking the assistance of someone more skilled to install the bar has great advantages. Also, it is recommended that a professional like an occupational therapist or a professional medical supplier determine the best placement for a new bathroom grab bar or a bathroom safety handle. These professionals are knowledgeable in determining the placement of the grab bar. They know better when it comes to the appropriate method to install grab bars to prevent damages to the wall and onto the bar itself. With improper mounting and calculations, mold and mildew caused by water may crop up.
Grab bar installation
The method of placement of the bathtub grab bar is important. The typical grab bar is a 24-inch vertical grab bar opposite the faucet. Placing the grab bar in an area that allows the person to hold the bar while sitting down and getting out of the tub is imperative for safety.
Shower grab bars and safety handles are necessary for a safe environment as well. It is typical to install at least two safety handles or grab bars at a height that fits the individual using the fixture. It is also a good idea to place at least one bathroom grab bar near the toilet to aid a person in getting off and on the toilet when certain illnesses such as knee and joint pains or osteoarthritis impede his or her normal movement.
Safety grab bars not properly bolted onto the wall are not secure aids to use. Make sure to use proper bolts or studs so the ends are stuck carefully and prevent loose ends. Butterfly or toggle bolts are sufficient if no stud is available, but it is recommended that silicone sealant is used in either process.
Tools needed to install a bathroom grab bar
- Caulk gun or squeezable waterproof silicone
Cost of a new bathroom safety grab bar
Typical metal bathroom safety grab bars cost between $25 and $45 depending on the style and size. Installation cost may vary depending on the area of residence but can typically cost between $60 and $90 per hour on labor. The average time for a complete grab bar installation ranges from a half hour to an hour depending on the complexity of the installation.
Whatever the cost may be and how far your budget will take you, the price of bathroom grab bars should not really be an issue.
Falls can happen anytime. No matter how careful the individual is, bathroom grab bars, bathroom handrails, or safety handles are important household fixtures to be added to prevent injury or fatal accidents caused by slipping on wet bathroom floors. Hospital personnel continue to ascertain that many emergency calls are a result of falls in the bathtub or shower, and these happen because safety handles are not installed properly.
Bathroom safety handles can help create a safe environment for family members and are especially helpful to seniors or those with special needs. Professional installers, such as Delta Accessibility, are trained to handle your safety handle bars’ needs. While DIY can be your choice, our highly trained installers will insure the proper location of the grab bar and install the most appropriate product type that matches your home design.
Contact us now and our team is ready to answer your questions concerning bathroom safety grab bar or grab handles. Delta Accessibility will offer the peace of mind and assurance that all manufacturers’ specifications and safety measures will be followed.
Let Us Improve Your Quality of Living!
Delta Accessibility can meet your commercial and residential adaptation needs no matter the size of the project. From small businesses to large corporations, we are big enough to serve and small enough to care.